About the pattern
The top consists of 8 squares and 4 triangles joined together. Straps are made with puff stitches. 5 rounds of single crochet are worked along the bottom to make the top more fitted.
Optionally, you can add an extra triangle on the back to create a reversible top that can be worn two ways; a chic V-neck front and a trendy halter back.
Or maybe some fringes along the bottom for a boho touch?
Save this for later!
Get the latest in your inbox!
About this pattern
Tulip Square Collection
If you don’t see the video, turn off your ad-blocker.
About the yarn
For this Granny Square Glow Top I used Lion Brand DIY Glow, which is glow-in-the-dark yarn. It’s made of 100% polyester yarn in a classic worsted weight.
Light up the night with your show stealing creations and watch as they come alive in the darkness, leaving a trail of awe and wonder.
Sizes & Measurements
This top is designed with a 0-12” negative ease so it fits nice and snuggly.
- If you’re in between sizes, size down.
- If you prefer a slightly smaller top, you can use a smaller crochet hook.
- For a longer top, you can do so by adding more squares and triangles. Keep in mind that a longer version will require more yarn. For a boho touch, you can add fringe along the bottom of the top.
|To fit bust||30-40||42-48||50-56||58-64|
|Actual measurement at bust||30” |
With a 6mm hook:
13 dc x 8 rows =
4 x 4” / 10 x 10 cm
Stitches & Abbreviations
- st: stitch
- ch: chain
- ch-sp: chain space
- sl st: slip stitch
- sc: single crochet
- dc: double crochet
- v-st: v-stitch: (1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc) in one st
- puff st: puff stitch: yarn over, pull up a long loop (3 loops on hook), yarn over, pull up a long loop in same st (5 loops on hook), yarn over, pull up a long loop in same st (7 loops on hook), yarn over, pull through all 7 loops on your hook, chain 1 to secure stitch.
- **: repeat what is between the asterisks as many times as directed
- < >: amount of stitches you should have at the end of a row
- This pattern is written in US terminology.
- -Top consists of 8 squares and 4 triangles that are joined together. Straps are made with puff stitches. Afterward, sc stitches are worked along the bottom to make the top more fitted.
- Pattern contains instructions for sizes X/S/M with size L/XL, 2XL/3XL and 4XL/5XL in parentheses. When only one number is given, it applies to all.
Arrange all granny squares as indicated by the diagram below, with the right sides facing upwards.
Slip stitch everything together using a loose tension.
Tip for slip stitching: insert your hook in the front loop of the square on top and the back loop of the square below. You can find a tutorial here.
To achieve a smoother finish, you can steam block the granny squares.
Rejoin yarn into one of the corners on the front.
Ch 2, 1 puff into corner,
*ch 2, 1 puff into the previous puff*
repeat this until you have a total of 12 puff stitches or until strap measures 8” / 20 cm.
End with a puff stitch into the corner on the back. You can adjust the length of the straps according to your preference by adding or removing puff stitches.
Repeat the same process on the other side.
Fasten off, weave in ends.
We will work 5 rounds of single crochet along the bottom edge. This will allow you to tighten up the top for a better fit.
With right side facing, join yarn to the bottom edge at one of the sides with a sl st. Work in continuous rounds, which means we do not join with a sl st in the first st.
Round 1: work sc evenly across sides of rows until you have approximately 64 (80, 112, 128) sc.
Round 2: 1 sc in each sc around
Repeat round 2 until round 5, or until edge measures 1.25” / 3 cm. You can repeat round 2 as many times as needed for the desired border width.
Fasten off, weave in all ends.
- For round 1, it doesn’t matter exactly where you insert your hook, just try to be as consistent as possible.
- If the edge is too tight, try using a looser tension or a bigger hook size.
- If the edge is too wide, switch to a smaller hook size to achieve the desired fit.
- You can add or remove rounds to reach your desired length. The edging adds 1.25” / 3 cm of length to the top.
End of pattern.